VISA / Debit
If you are travelling:
To avoid issues using your Debit and/or VISA card, contact EPCU Before you travel.
You can simply call us at: 734-242-3765 or 800-732-1921 or
Print this form and follow the instructions: Travel Notification
The following countries have an authorization block on MasterCard debit cards due to high risk of fraudulent transactions. If you are traveling to or are attempting to purchase from any of these countries, your MasterCard debit card will not be approved, you will need to prepare yourself with other forms of payment: Kuwait, Egypt, France, Australia, Switzerland, India, Denmark, Pakistan.
Macy's New York also has an authorization block.
VISA Payment Remittance Address
P.O. Box 4519
Carol Stream, IL 60197-4519
Report lost/stolen VISA (Inside US)
Report lost/stolen VISA (Outside US)
Suspected fraud on your VISA
Dispute a charge on your VISA
VISA PIN Personalization: 866-297-3408
VISA Customer Service: 800-828-3901
VISA Card Activation: 800-456-6870
VISA ScoreCard Travel Services: 855-483-5005
VISA ScoreCard Customer Service: 800-854-0790
Create/Change the PIN on your MasterCard Debit
Report lost/stolen MasterCard Debit
During credit union hours call 800-732-1921 or 734-242-3765
After credit union hours within the U.S. call 888-241-2510
After credit union hours outside the U.S. call 909-941-1398
Suspected fraud on your MasterCard
Click here to view your Visa and Mastercard Debit Scorecard Rewards
Web Support for Scorecard Rewards: 800-854-0790
Web Support for EzCardInfo: 866-604-0380
Contact the credit union for details about our VISA program.
I want to protect my identity, why can't I write "SEE ID" on the back of my card instead of my signature?
If you do not sign your card, you are not covered by the Mastercard charge back rights. Therefore, you are more protected by signing the card. With the debit card, you are not required to show your ID unless you are getting cash back, so the seller is required to compare the signature on your card with the signature on the receipt.
Where can I use my debit card?
ANYWHERE that accepts Mastercard. This includes but is not
b. Movie theaters
c. Online purchases
d. Airline ticket purchases
e. Department stores
f. Gas stations
g. Car Rental
(you can pay for the rental, however, you cannot use the card to
HOLD the reservation)
h. ATM machines
Why does EPCU have credit scoring requirements for debit cards?
The debit card is a Mastercard product that withdraws the funds from the members checking instead of sending a monthly bill. When the member selects "credit" when using the card, there can be a 3 day lag time before the transaction is processed. This is technically a short term loan for the members.
The member does not have the option of just not selecting credit.
Does the debit card replace my ATM card?
Yes - any existing ATM cards will be deleted 30 days after the member receives their debit card.
The debit card WILL work at an ATM machine and can withdraw or deposit funds to/from regular savings and/or primary checking.
When the member receives their debit card, they must first use it at an ATM machine to activate it.
If I choose "CREDIT" does it still come out of my checking account?
YES! Any time the member uses their debit card, the money will be taken from their checking account regardless if they choose debit or credit.
Why should I choose "CREDIT" instead of "DEBIT"?
By choosing "credit", you retain your chargeback rights through Mastercard.
Choosing "credit" will recognize your overdraft loan, Choosing "debit" will not. See the following example:
Checking Account Balance $100 $100
Available Overdraft Amount $500 $500
Purchase Amount $150 $150
Results APPROVED DENIED
Why is there a difference between my balance and my available balance on my checking account?
When you make a "credit" purchase, a hold is placed on your account for the balance. The difference between your balance and your available balance will be the amount of your outstanding "credit" purchases. This hold will clear after the purchase is posted to your account. This will take no longer than 3 days.
If you do not have enough in your checking to cover a purchase, a hold will be placed on your overdraft loan in $1 increments to cover the purchase price. For example:
- Checking Account Balance Available Before Purchase $100
- Available Overdraft Amount Before Purchase $1000
- Amount of Purchase $125
- Checking Account Balance Available After Purchase $0
- Available Overdraft Amount After Purchase $875
I have enough money available, but my transaction was declined. Why?
There could be several reasons for this including:
- If you move and do not change your address with EPCU, the merchant may decline your transaction when they check your zip code for authenticity. FIX: Change your address (in writing) with EPCU).
- You may not have as much available as you think. Remember, if you make a checking account deposit through an ATM, only the first $100 is available immediately - the rest will not be available for 3 days. FIX: Make sure you have enough funds available before attempting to purchase - remember, you can check your balances with Homebanking or Voice Response.
- The EPCU system, Mastercard system or merchant system may be temporarily down. In the event that this happens, you will have a reduced amount available to you. FIX: Wait an hour and try again. These systems rarely go down, and when they do they are usually not down for long.
- The magnetic strip on your card has stopped working. This can happen for a number of reasons including scratching, cracking, demagnetizing, etc. FIX: Contact your accounting department at EPCU to order a new card.
- You selected "debit" and are using the wrong PIN number. FIX: Select "credit" and sign for the transaction. Contact your accounting department at EPCU to have your PIN sent to you again.
- If you have negative share accounts or delinquent loans with EPCU, your debit card will not work. FIX: Bring loans and share accounts current.
- This Credit Union is Federally Insured by the NCUA Top ↑